Building Consent


If you are considering building or plumbing work, you need to talk to Council to see whether a building consent is required or not.

Work that does require a building consent is set out by the Building Act 2004 (Schedule 1). Although your particular project may be exempt from the need for a building consent, the work must still satisfy the provisions of the Building Code.

Basic building jobs, such as laying a patio or installing kitchen cupboards, do not require a building consent.


How do I get a building consent? Find out (external link)

Don't think you need a building consent? Check here (external link)

Restricted Building Work & Licensing

On 1 March 2012, Restricted Building Work and Licensing came into effect. Building practitioners need to demonstrate their ability to meet industry competencies in order to obtain the status of a Licensed Building Practitioner (LBP).

Restricted Building Work is work which is critical to the integrity of a building and can only be carried out or supervised by LBPs.

For more information visit the Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment (external link)

The website allows you to search the public register for LBPs in your area.

Earthquake-Prone Buildings

Council’s Earthquake-prone Dangerous and Insanitary Building Policy 2011 relating to earthquake-prone buildings seeks to reduce the level of earthquake risk to the public over a specified timeframe, targeting the most vulnerable buildings.

 Download the Earthquake-prone Dangerous & Insanitary Building Policy 2011

Council acknowledges that strengthening of susceptible buildings involves cost to building owners, but supports the underlying principles of enhancing life safety though a systematic approach of identifying at risk buildings.