Connect and make sure your views count. Join Youth Council!
Are you ready to represent your peers and your community? Have you got lots of ideas? Well, the Southland District Council Youth Council might just be for you!
Southland District Council is on the hunt for inspiring, motivated young people (aged 16-24) to act as advocates and ensure youth voices get heard by the Council.
Apply now! Simply fill out this form and submit it.
Applications close 28 February 2024.
What is Youth Council?
Every year, senior students are chosen to represent their school on the Southland District Youth Council. Youth council is a way for young people to connect with one another and make sure their voices count.
Youth councillors represent the views of Southland’s youth and the issues important to them. They work with council staff, elected members, other young people and their communities to make a difference.
What do youth councillors do?
Members get involved in their communities by:
- organising youth events
- serving as the voice of young people to council and the government
- looking at ways to improve their communities for young people
- taking part in community projects.
I’m keen – what do I have to do?
Youth councillors are expected to:
- attend meetings every six weeks
- be available for training and conferences
- get involved in their communities
- represent other young people
- help organise youth council events.
Have you liked us on Facebook yet? Check out our page.