Follow the simple steps below to register your dog.
Information you need
- Your dog's breed
- if your dog has been de-sexed, have a digital photograph or scan of the veterinary certificate
- if your dog has been microchipped, have the microchip number and a digital photograph or scan of the microchip certificate
- know if your dog is a pet, stock dog or other working dog. Find out more about what defines a stock dog, other working dog.
The easiest way to register a dog for the first time is online by clicking on the link below. You will be able to pay online using your Visa or Mastercard or pay straight from your bank account (payments from Rabobank or SBS are not supported). There is no surcharge for this facility.
Once the registration fee has been paid you will receive an email confirming we have received the application, along with a payment receipt. Once we have processed the application a dog tag will be posted to you. If you need help filling in the form please ring us on 0800 732 732.
If you can’t register your dog online, ring our Customer Service team on 0800 732 732 or visit an area office to have the registration processed.Register dogs online
Fees and discounts
Council’s dog registration discounts are for the purpose of encouraging responsible ownership, reducing the number of unwanted dogs in the district and reducing incidents of aggression/attacks.
Registration fee is $110 before possible discounts
Registration fee is $50 if all discounts apply
A stock dog or other working dog registration is $40
Late registration penalty (for all dogs) 50% of the total registration fee
$10 discount for desexed dogs
You will need to provide us with evidence from your vet, such as a receipt or a certificate, which shows your dog has been neutered or spayed.
We will accept photos or scans of official documentation provided by your vet containing the vet’s logo, the dog's name, description, breed, colour, sex and a description of the procedure.
We will also accept a print out from the National Dog Database if your dog has been previously registered with another owner.
$20 discount for containment, fencing or a controlled property
To receive the fencing discount, ensure your dog is contained on your property in one of the following ways:
- A fully fenced property
- a fenced or portable enclosure
- a dog motel
- a kennel with an enclosed run attached
- a leash attached to a running wire.
$30 discount responsible owner
To receive this discount, you must meet the following criteria:
- The dog is microchipped as required by the Dog Control Act 1996
- there has been no written warning, barking abatement notice, seizure or infringement under the Dog Control Act 1996 within the last two years relating to any dog owned by the person applying for the registration.
You can get your dog microchipped for free at one of our free microchipping sessions. So, if your dog is not microchipped yet, get it chipped at one of our local offices before coming in to register it and you may qualify for the responsible owner discount. Our dog microchipping page has information on where and when in the district these sessions will be held.
If your dog is already microchipped you will need to provide us with evidence from your vet, such as a receipt or a certificate. We will accept photos or scans of official documentation provided by your vet or a council dog control officer containing the dog's name, description, breed, colour, sex, age and a microchip barcode or number. We will also accept a print out from the National Dog Database if your dog has been previously registered with another owner.