If you want to have chickens or run a herd of alpacas then you need to read our Keeping of Animals, Poultry and Bees Bylaw which regulates the keeping of animals in the district. If you want to do something which isn’t permitted in the bylaw, then you will need to apply for a permit.

  • Complete and return permit to keep an animal form
  • pay the one-off application fee
  • ask all neighbours within 50m of the property boundary to sign an affected approvals form
  • provide a location plan showing boundaries
  • provide a written statement from your local Community Board member confirming there is no objection to the application (space provided on the application form).

Permit criteria

After your application has been received, an animal control officer may inspect your property and assess it against these criteria:

  • It is suitable for the type and number of animals proposed
  • steps have been taken to ensure sanitary conditions
  • arrangements for exercise, food, water and shelter
  • animals are properly confined and prevented from damaging neighbouring properties.

Granting of permits

Permits are granted if we are satisfied the keeping of animals will not have more than a minor effect on the neighbourhood. A permit may be granted even if you are unable to get all neighbour approvals. A permit is issued to the property and is transferable if there is a change of ownership.

There is no right of appeal to the decision to grant or decline an application.

Permits are granted with no time limits. A person who is granted a permit can keep the animals at the property indefinitely provided they continue to comply with the conditions of the permit.

Permit conditions

All permits are granted with conditions, including:

  • Animals must not cause any noise problems for neighbours
  • animals receive adequate food and water
  • sufficient housing must be provided if required by a Code of Practice from the Ministry for Primary Industries
  • animal droppings must be removed regularly
  • animals must not cause any damage to neighbouring properties
  • animals must not create a nuisance (examples include offensive conditions or an accumulation of material that may harbour vermin).

When a permit becomes invalid

Once you have a permit, you will need to reapply if:

  • You move to another property and wish to keep animals there but they are not permitted at the new property under the bylaw; or
  • you change the number or type of animals granted under the permit.

If you do not meet the conditions in the permit then you may need to remove the animals from the property. For more information contact our Environmental Health team on 0800 732 732.