What is an amusement device?

Amusement devices include any fairground rides and any other mechanically-powered unit that is used for rider entertainment.

These include but are not limited to:

  • Bumper boats
  • Bumper cars
  • Bungee jumping (when a mobile crane and platform are used)
  • Can-Am cars
  • Fairground machinery, e.g. merry-go-rounds, Ferris wheels, roller coasters, etc.
  • Indoor go-kart operations
  • Jet skiing
  • Magic carpet riding
  • Minibikes (three and four-wheel all-terrain vehicles)
  • Parasailing

Documentation needed to operate an amusement device

Before you can operate the amusement device, you must obtain both the certificate of registration and the permit to operate. Allow sufficient time to obtain first the Certificate of Registration, and then the Permit to operate.

The Certificate of Registration is managed by Worksafe and is to be applied for with them: Application for registration of an amusement device.

The Application for a permit to operate an amusement device is a Worksafe form but it is to be completed and emailed directly to Council at building-cs@southlanddc.govt.nz There are charges for the permit and any inspection required. Please see Schedule of Fees and Charges.

Applications to Council must be submitted at least 3 working days prior to the event. Council will schedule an inspection after receiving a full and complete application. The inspection will be completed on the day the amusement device is constructed in the location of its intended use and before it is opened for use by public. When the officer is satisfied with the inspection they will issue the permit so the amusement device can operate.