Media advisory: Flooding in Southland/Fiordland Piopiotahi
News item information
Wyndham residents should evacuate now
Residents of Wyndham and surrounding low-lying areas should evacuate immediately.
The Mataura River is expected to peak with 2,740 cumecs at Wyndham at 3.20pm today.
Residents of the township and surrounding low-lying areas should gather key personal belongings and proceed to the Mokoreta Hall or the Mimihau Hall as soon as possible to await further information.
Take a grab bag with you containing medication, clothing and personal items including documents.
If you are evacuating with pets, ensure they are contained on a leash or in a cage and that you have food for them.
Before leaving, check on neighbours and share this information if doing so won’t delay you. Call 111 if you are in danger.
The Mataura River was expected to peak at 2,450 cumecs at Gore at 9.20am, and at Mataura with 2,665 cumecs at 11.50am.
A map outlining the evacuation areas of Gore and Mataura is available on www.facebook.com/cdsouthland and www.civildefencesouthland.govt.nz
People are encouraged go and stay with friends and family on higher ground. Before leaving, check on neighbours and share this information if doing so won’t delay you. Call 111 if you are in danger.
Community hubs are open at:
• Calvin Community Church
• Croydon Lodge
• Waimumu Hall
• Waimumu Field Days site, where people can evacuate with pets
• Buses will be departing from the Mataura Community Centre around 8:30-9am leaving for the Edendale Presbyterian Church and the Christian Activity Centre.
• Wyndham Community Centre
In Mataura, transport will be available from the Mataura Community Centre.
People are advised to stay at home and away from the river until Civil Defence gives the all clear. Do not drive or walk through flood waters. The water may have washed away parts of the road and may contain debris. Tread all flood water as contaminated and unsafe.
• The evacuation of Gore and Mataura is ongoing. Areas already evacuated are East Gore, South Gore and Hokonui Dive. Evacuation efforts are continuing west of State Highway 1
• The Gore bridge has been closed to all traffic.
• PowerNet has cut power to the flood zones which are east of Broughton Street. Hill area power is still on.
• The Jacobstown well is out because of power being out.
• There is enough water for 24 hours. People need to conserve water.
• South Gore is starting to be inundated.
• There are about 200 people at Calvin Chruch and 50 at Gore High School.