Animal control

Council provides a range of keeping of animals services such as:

  • Dog control
  • Wandering stock
  • Controlling the keeping of certain types of animals in townships, e.g. pigs, horses, and cattle, and poultry.
  • Rules concerning the number of cats 

Dog control

Go to our Dog owner information page to find out more.

Stock on roads

Council’s Rangers follow up all complaints about stock on roads. 

Wandering stock is an issue in the District, and presents a threat to motorists. 

If stock are on the road, they are removed from the road into the nearest paddock if possible.  If the owner of the stock cannot be identified, stock are impounded and transported to Council’s stock pound in Riverton. 

Repeat incidents are investigated by Council’s Animal Control Officers.  

Keeping of animals

The District is rural in nature and has a rural economy.  Some people will want to keep a variety of animals as pets in urban or ‘lifestyle’ localities.  Most animal related problems in the District occur in urban areas. 

The keeping of animals has both benefits and adverse effects.  The keeping of animals in urban areas can have benefits such as mitigating fire risk and improved amenity due to the control of rank grass, enjoyment by locals, and providing food.  Adverse effects include odour from faeces, noisy animals, damage to neighbouring property and attracting vermin. 

There is a need to protect the public from the irresponsible or inconsiderate keeping of animals.  A balance is required by providing rules that enable the keeping of animals in a way that is acceptable to the community, and restrict or prohibit the keeping of animals that may create problems. 

Council’s Keeping of Animals, Poultry and Bees Bylaw regulates the keeping of animals in the District.  Examples of animals under this bylaw include horses, cattle, cats, poultry, noisy birds, and bees.

If you want to do something that isn’t permitted in the bylaw, you will have to apply to Council for dispensation. Read about dispensations here.

To report animal control issues click here (external link)