Dog owner information
As a dog owner, it’s your legal responsibility to …
Make sure your dog is:
• properly fed, watered, exercised, housed and cared for
• kept under the direct control of a person, or confined in a way that means they cannot leave the property they are being kept on without you
• microchipped unless exempt
• muzzled and leashed at all times in public if it is classified as either dangerous or menacing.
Take steps to ensure your dog does not:
• Injure, danger, intimidate or distress people or animals
• create a nuisance by wandering or barking
• damage or endanger any property belonging to another person.
• Tell Council about any dog address or ownership change
• comply with the laws set out in the Dog Control Act 1996 and all regulations and bylaws.