Restricted Building Work & Licensing

On 1 March 2012, Restricted Building Work and Licensing came into effect. Building practitioners need to demonstrate their ability to meet industry competencies in order to obtain the status of a Licensed Building Practitioner (LBP).

Restricted Building Work (RBW) is work which is critical to the integrity of a building and can only be carried out or supervised by a Licensed Building Practitioner (LBP).

There are a number of guides available to help you plan and better understand restricted building work. 

Guide to Restricted Building Work (RBW) (external link)

Carrying out Restricted Building Work (external link)

Licensed Building Practitioner (LBP) Licence Classes  (external link)

Search Public Register for Licensed Building Practitioner (LBP) (external link)

Once you feel confident you have a good understanding of restricted building work and whether you need the help of a licensed builder you are ready to move onto the next step of your consent application. 

How Much Will My Building Consent Cost

The cost of your building consent will depend on the nature of work that you intend to undertake. Please refer to Councils Schedule of Fees and Charges to determine the cost of your consent.
Once your application has been submitted and all required information has been received, Council will confirm the cost of your Building Consent application.

Begin My Application

Lodge a building consent online   

Alternatively, you can apply by using the forms and guides provided on this website.

Please choose from the list below which best describes your planned work:

Commercial Properties (includes pool >500Litres)

Commercial Properties Heating Unit Only

Residential Properties / Dwelling (includes pool >500Litres)

Residential Properties Heating Unit Only

Unlined Garage / Pole Shed

Building a Pool