Property files and Land Information Memorandums (LIMs)

What's a property file?

A property file is a collection of documents specific to Council’s regulatory activities on a particular property.

As part of our ongoing customer service we supply property files to a wide range of a people on a daily basis; real estate agents, lawyers, contractors, owners, buyers, builders, architects, engineers and surveyors.

What can I expect to see on a property file? Depending on the property, you could expect some of the following:

  • building consent documents e.g. plans and specifications, site and drainage plans
  • historic building permits
  • resource consent documents e.g. decision letters or scheme plans
  • (High Value Area) HVA Reports e.g. a report describing the ecological significance of the area
  • LIM Notification in the form of an Earthquake Prone Building Status

Vacant land may not have any building work, resource consents, land use or subdivisions, or any other work performed by the Council so nothing would be available to view. A large commercial operation, on the other hand, may have historic building permits, multiple building consents, a Building Warrant of Fitness, resource consents either for land use and subdivisions.

A property file does not replace a LIM report and often customers get a property file in addition to a LIM report. We deliver our property files electronically via a file sharing site. Property files are free of charge. 

Request a copy of the property file (external link) .

What's a Land Information Memorandum?

A LIM report is a Council prepared document summarising current property information held by various departments at Council on the day the LIM was completed. The LIM will only provide information the Council is aware of, if there is an issue Council hasn’t been notified about, and in the absence of a physical inspection of the property (not required for a LIM) then this will not be documented on the LIM.

Anyone can request a LIM and Council is required to produce the document in 10 working days under the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987 (LGOIMA).
What can I expect to see in a LIM?

Some information that goes into a LIM is mandatory, some discretionary. Council can exercise its discretion under the LGOIMA to include information concerning the land it considers to be relevant.

Mandatory information includes: 

  • special features or natural hazards, including potential for erosion, avulsion, falling debris, slippage, subsidence, flooding or likely presence of hazardous contaminants
  • information on water, stormwater and sewer services and the availability to connect
  • the current rating valuation, rates charged, statutory land charges or an encumbrance
  • information on consents, certificates, notices, orders, or requisitions relating to the land or buildings
  • historic Building Permits issued prior to the introduction of the Building Act 1991
  • any compliance schedules issued for a building and when the related Warrant of Fitness expires
  • information relating to any potentially contaminated land
  • information on any licences relating to the Sale of Food, the Sale of Liquor, or other licences.
  • registration or requisition (under the Health Act 1956) and when it expires
  • if the property contains an archaeological, historic or cultural site.

Information on pricing is available on our fees and charges place

Apply for a Land Information Memorandum (external link)