Council has eight main libraries and a mobile book bus, and membership is free to all Southland District residents.
You can borrow a book several different ways:
- View the catalogue (external link)
[PDF, 226 KB]
- Renew your books online (external link)
- Download e-books and e-audiobooks (external link)
- Visit the book bus at one of its 38 stops
Mobile Book Bus Timetable Jan - May 2018 [PDF, 38 KB]
Mobile Book Bus Timetable May - Aug 2018 [PDF, 152 KB]
- Visit a library at Winton, Te Anau, Lumsden, Riverton, Otautau, Nightcaps, Wyndham, Stewart Island or Tuatapere
Southland District libraries have material in a variety of formats, including large print, audio, dvd, e-books and e-audiobooks. Most items are loaned free of charge although a small charge is placed on services such as reserves and interloans, and to borrow dvds.
Our branches offer free wi-fi access and computer use.
Library membership is free to all district residents.
To join, you need to:
- Visit any district library and complete an application form - you need to provide identification such as a driver's licence, passport, bankcard or similar
- Young people under 16 need to have their application signed by a guarantor, such as a parent or caregiver
- A library card will be posted to you within a few days and you need to bring the card with you whenever you visit a library
All members of a family should have their own card, for purchasing and budgeting reasons. Each person is allowed to borrow up to 20 books for four weeks before they are either returned or renewed.
Reserving & Renewing
Reserving a book costs 50 cents. Books not held by any Southland district library can usually be obtained from another New Zealand library at a cost of $5.
You can also borrow books from one library and return to another, but be aware of library opening hours and due dates.
If you want to renew your books, you can call 0800 732 542. You need to give your membership number and the book will be renewed usually for four weeks, unless it is reserved. You can also renew your books online here (external link)
If you do not renew your book and go over the four-week lending period, you will be fined - 20 cents a day per book for borrowers 16 and over, and 10 cents for children and young adults.
If you lose or damage a borrowed book, you will have to pay replacement costs.
Southland District Council provides a bookbus mobile library service. It operates out of Winton and covers 38 stops in the district on a fortnightly or four weekly basis.
Nightcaps Library (closed)
Stewart Island Library
Stewart Island 9846
Wednesday, 8.30am-12noon and 2-4pm
Te Anau Library
Te Anau 9600