Trading in a public place

What kind of approval do I need?

Trading in a public place requires a licence. This applies to businesses such as mobile shops, a stall on a footpath or in a recreational area.

You do not need a licence for the following:

  • any stall or stand operated by a recognised charitable organisation, or a not for profit community organisation
  • any event on private property
  • any market, stall or stand which has a current approval under any other bylaw, legislation, resource consent, resolution of Council or written authorisation.

Licence a business to sell in a public place

All trading in public place licenses authorise the following:

  1. Street sides - up to two hours before moving to another location. You can’t trade within the CBD of any town.
  2. Approved sites - at any time during daylight hours at any approved site (see “approved sites where you can trade” below).
  3. Council reserve land during an organized event. Examples are parks and sporting grounds.

Licenses are subject to conditions, for example trading during daylight hours only.

To apply complete and return the application to trade in public places [PDF, 291 KB].

Council has some approved sites where you can trade. [PDF, 1.2 MB]

If you want to trade in a location that’s not pre-approved you will need to apply for approval. A licence to trade in a public place has conditions such as hours of trading and location.

Other Council approvals that may be required

Depending on business activities you may need a resource consent or a building consent. 

If you are planning to serve alcohol please refer to the selling alcohol page on this website. 

If you are thinking of selling food please refer to the food businesses page on this site. 

If you want to trade on a Council reserve please ring us on 0800732 732 and ask to speak to somebody in the property team. 

Fees and charges

Fees and charges are available on our fees and charges page.

You need to pay for:

  • registration
  • renewing the registration

Taking over an existing business that trades in a public place

You will need to apply for a new licence, because licenses are not transferable.

Trading in a public place requirements

The licence will be issued with conditions.

Contact us

Before opening a new business for trading in a public place, call us on 0800 732 732 and ask for the Environmental Health Team, and we can walk you through the process.