Dust suppression regulations

image of sign saying Road Oiled

Environment Southland's regulations regarding dust suppression have changed.

If you want to apply used oil on to a gravel road outside your property, you must have a resource consent from Environment Southland.

You may still use the following without resource consent:

  • Vegetable oil
  • Longer term solutions such as Gravel Lock or Otta Seal.
  • HSNO-approved dust suppressant

You will still need a Dust Suppression Permit from Southland District Council. To apply for a permit please contact us during business hours on 0800 732 732.

We will not be able to issue your Dust Suppression Permit without confirmation from Environment Southland that your application complies with the new rules.

If you have any queries regarding the new regulations, please contact the Consents team at Environment Southland on (03) 211 5115.