Safely moving stock

If you have a stock crossing on your property which goes across a Council road, or if you want to create one, then you need a permit.

There are hundreds of stock crossings in the Southland District and these have procedures which must be followed to ensure safety.

When you apply for a permit you need to provide information including:

  • location and site plan
  • stock type and number
  • stock control measures
  • measures to comply with Code of Practice for Temporary Traffic Management
  • evidence of Public Liability Insurance (to $1 million)

Get more information about what you need to do to get a permit below. Don't forget your permit expires after 12 months so you'll need to reapply.