Is a PIM compulsory?

While we do recommend obtaining a PIM prior to applying for a building consent, they are voluntary. They can be applied for separately or in combination with your building consent.

A PIM will only give you information that Council holds on the property.

A PIM is a memorandum issued by Council which sets out information relevant to your building work.

This is information on special land features and may include some of the following information:

  • erosion
  • avulsion (removal of land by water action)
  • falling debris
  • subsidence
  • slippage
  • alluvium (the deposit of silt from flooding)
  • the presence of hazardous contaminants which are known to Council which are likely to be relevant to the design, construction or alteration of your proposed building
  • details of stormwater or wastewater utility systems which relate to your proposed building work, or are adjacent to your building site.

A PIM will also identify any additional approvals required such as:

  • Resource Management Act
  • Heritage New Zealand (heritage buildings/sites)
  • Fire and Emergency New Zealand (FENZ)

The PIM also includes

In addition, the PIM also includes confirmation, subject to other provisions of the Building Act 2004, that you may carry out the building work subject to:

  • the requirements of the building consent
  • all other necessary authorisations being obtained.

Copies of other information that may have some design impact on your proposed building work like:

  • drainage plans
  • water supply plans
  • other utility plans
  • any other information that Council holds that is relevant to your project.

Note: A PIM does not give any form of approval under the District Plan or Building Act 2004. Contact Southland District Council’s Planning Department, or your own planning advisor to determine that your proposal complies with the District Plan. If it does not, and Resource Consent is required, you are strongly advised to obtain this before seeking building consent to avoid possible expensive changes to your proposal.

How to apply for a PIM

A PIM can be applied for through the ObjectiveBuild electronic lodgement portal. If you are unable to submit your application electronically, please contact Council to discuss lodgement options. Please note that there is a charge for a PIM.

Please see Schedule of Fees and Charges.

Documentation required

All applications must be accompanied by a:

  • scope of works
  • site plan
  • floor plan
  • building elevations
  • site access
  • drainage plan.

How long does it take?

Council is required to issue the PIM in 20 working days of the application being received.

Note: If the PIM is applied for with the building consent, the timeframe for issue of both is 20 working days.