28 March 2023

Certificate for Public Use checklist

Certificate for Public Use (CPU)

It is the owner’s decision as to when a building can be occupied. However, if your commercial building is open to the public, whether free of charge or by payment of a charge, the building cannot be used or occupied until a Code Compliance Certificate (CCC) is issued or a Certificate for Public Use (CPU) has been applied for and granted.

A CPU should be applied for and obtained prior to allowing any area of the building to be accessible by public for which a building consent has been issued and has not yet obtained a CCC.

When the CPU is granted, it will outline the area in which the public have access to within the building or part of a building that is to be used before the CCC is issued.

Each application for a CPU will be considered on a case-by-case basis. When applying for a CPU you will be required to provide a completed CPU checklist that shows how you are complying with the building code to the extent required by the BCA.

To make an application for a CPU, you log into ObjectiveBuild and make your application online.

Please use the check sheet to see what additional documentation may be required with the application form, as this can expedite your application by having all the information available. Upload your completed check sheet to ObjectiveBuild with your application.

Please note that the issuing of a CPU does not remove the owner’s responsibility to continue building works and apply for CCC as soon as possible. For this reason, a CPU will carry an expiry date and should not be planned for long term use.

What are public premises?

Any premises that are open to the public or intended for public use, whether free of charge or by payment of a charge, including but not limited to:

  • Shopping malls
  • cinemas
  • marae
  • camping grounds
  • garages and workshops
  • funeral homes
  • office and retail complexes
  • rest homes, etc.