When to request a refund
You may be eligible for a rates refund if:
- your rates rebate has cleared your rates balance to 30 June and put you in credit
- you have overpaid your rates account
- your rates have been adjusted resulting in a credit balance for the year
- there has been a change in property ownership.
How to request a refund
We will credit all refunds into your bank account.
You must provide your:
- daytime phone number
- property address
- reason for refund
- proof of bank account:
- scanned, pre-printed bank deposit slip
- letter from your bank
- screenshot of your internet banking account details, including your bank account name and number with the bank logo
- settlement statement from the solicitor (if the refund request is due to a change of ownership)
- proof of each payment to be refunded, for example, a bank statement or bank account screenshot - (proof of payment is not needed for direct debit or internet payments made within New Zealand, where a refund is to be paid back into the same bank account).
Email your request to email@example.com and include the relevant information specified.
Once we validate your request for a refund, it will be paid out on the 20th of the month.
How to request a refund of a penalty
If a penalty has been applied to your account, find out if you are eligible for a remission of property rates penalties.
17 October 2023