You have the right to appeal a decision the BCA has made, or to complain about any building control function the BCA undertakes. Complaints must be made in writing and can be emailed directly to

The above email address is monitored by our Building Solutions quality team. All information is kept private and confidential. The Complaints Policy document explains in detail how the process works.

What information is required?

  • Date incident occurred
  • nature of complaint (guidance information, vetting, lodgement, inspection, notice to fix, code compliance certificate or compliance schedule)
  • copies of any supporting information (if applicable)
  • relationship (customer, regulator, or stakeholder).

How long does it take?

All complainants will be responded to within two working days of the receipt of the complaint, at which time you may be asked whether you wish to be heard in relation to the complaint or to provide further information.

All complaints will be acted upon within 20 working days of receipt of the complaint, unless a request for further information is made.

Do I have a right of appeal?

Yes, if you do not agree with the outcome you may request a review of the decision. All appeals must be made in writing, setting out the reasons why you disagree with the decision.

All appeals should be addressed to:

Chief Executive
Southland District Council
P O Box 903

All appeals will be responded to within 10 working days.

What else can I do?

If you are still unhappy or choose to use an alternative route to settle a matter of doubt or dispute, you may apply to the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) for a Determination. Visit for further information on this service and to download the form (Form 14).

In some cases, you can seek a determination from the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) where there is a matter of doubt or dispute, or lay a complaint with the MBIE regarding building control function. Queries of this nature should be made to MBIE direct.

Complain about the BCA

We are here to serve you as our community, however we understand that you may not always be happy with the outcome or decision made. If you have a problem or a concern about the building consent authority or territorial authority building function, contact Southland District Council on 0800 732 732 or send an email:

Southland District Council staff are the building consent authority, or in some instances, a contractor employed to carry out the role.

Visit for further information on this process and to download the Complaint about a BCA Form.