Rubbish & recycling

Recycling and transfer stations

Council has partnered with its neighbouring local authorities to establish WasteNet. You will find information on their site about your rubbish collection dates (external link) and what services are available in your area (external link)

There are recycling centres across the district where you can bring your used goods for recycling. You can also recycle at all transfer stations and refuse sites across the district. 

Opening hours and addresses of the district's recycling centres and transfer stations can be found on the My Community pages or you can use the map below to find out about recycling and transfer stations in your area.

Fiordland Tuatapere Northern Ardlussa Wallace Takitimu Oraka Aparima Oreti Waihopai Toetoe Stewart Island/Rakiura

Sites are closed on Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Christmas Day, New Year's Day and Anzac morning.

Recycling and refuse includes:

  • Greenwaste - separated clean greenwaste excluding soils, flaxes, branches over 150mm diameter and tree stumps
  • Scrapmetal - separated clean scrapmetal
  • Reuse/recyclables - domestic household items including cardboard, glass, plastic (types 1 and 2), aluminium and tin cans, all clean from contamination

For our rubbish and recycling charges please go to our fees & charges page and download the latest fees and charges document. 

Wheelie bins

Council provides a wheelie bin service for rubbish and recycling to all properties within particular boundaries, usually townships. The service is also available to people in rural areas en route to the townships, where practicable. The rural service is voluntary and will be provided when requested by the ratepayer. People must take bins to a collection route.

All collection services are contracted out and the wheelie bins remain the property of the contractor, who is responsible for normal wear and tear. The customer is responsible for providing reasonable security against damage or theft and keeping it clean and tidy. Wheelie bins are assigned to properties so if you move, the wheelie bin stays with the property.

Find out when your wheelie bin is collected (external link)

Report any problems relating to your wheelie bin

Disposal of Hazardous Substances

Hazardous substances are products that harm people, the environment and property. Council has a responsibility to monitor the use, storage and disposal of such substances.

Most household cleaners, detergents and pesticides provide you with instructions on the label and packaging on how to use and dispose of the products. Other products such as swimming pool chemicals, petrol and tanks for diving need attention. Please contact Council’s environmental health department for further information.

  • Emergency spills - phone the Environment Southland Pollution hotline on 0800 768 845
  • Domestic and/or small quantities of hazardous substances (less than 10kg) - dispose of this at a hazardous waste storage shed at a Council transfer station
  • Commercial and/or large quantities of hazardous substances (more than 10kg), agrichemicals, explosives, extinguishers, gas cylinders, paint, asbestos, used oil, batteries, smoke alarms, treated timber, fluorescent tubes – visit the Wastenet website (external link) for further information
  • General hazardous waste queries - contact Environment Southland