Council controlled organisation (CCOs)
Great South was established as Southland’s regional development agency in March 2019. Committed to driving economic, social and cultural growth, Great South has a clear mandate to leverage opportunities for Southland in the areas of economic and business development, tourism and events.
Focusing on encouraging the region's overall wellbeing and success, Great South incorporates the Southland Regional Tourism Organisation, central government’s Regional Business Partner (RBP) Network, delivers a range of events and regional initiatives, and runs a number of government-funded contracts that pave the way for regional growth and development.
The Great South - Statement of Intent 2020-21 [PDF, 9.5 MB] outlines the organisatin's overall direction and sets out the strategic objectives.
Southland Museum and Art Gallery Trust Board (SMAG)
Through its activities the Southland Museum and Art Gallery Trust Board (SMAGTB) will:
- Deliver a vibrant successful collaboration with the Invercargill Public Art Gallery in a temporary exhibition space that is bustling with people, activities and culture.
- increase the sense of ownership by Southlanders, and the attractiveness, meaningfulness, relevance, value of the temporary Museum and its programmes for them and visitors to Southland
- contribute to the role of attracting visitors to Invercargill as part of the Southland visitor experience.
continue to strengthen our relationships with Mana Whenua
- have an aligned board and simple governance structure that is the best interest of the Southland Region
work with our Community using our Museum as a connector
- collaborative organisational structure, shared authority and strong community engagement
- provide support for regional museums in our province.
Milford Community Trust
The Milford Community Trust was established in 2007 by the Southland District Council and the Department of Conservation with the assistance of Environment Southland for the purposes of providing leadership and governance for the Milford community.